As you have read the four Biographies of Jesus--Matthew, Mark, Luke and John--have you seen a strategy of how Jesus lived out the Great Commandment and the Great Commission? In studying Jesus' life, ministry and relationships, can you see how He strategically built His relationship with His Heavenly Father, with the disciples and with those far from God? How did Jesus move someone far from God to be a genuine follower of Jesus?
A word that is so easily missed yet striking to me is the word: "Decapolis." Mark records in 7:31, "Then Jesus left the vicinity of Tyre and went through Sidon, down to the Sea of Galilee and into the region of the Decapolis." What is the "Decapolis"? Ten cities in a certain area. We can see that Jesus regularly visited these ten cities as well as so many others to share the great news that The Kingdom of God is at hand.
What strategy do you have to live out the Great Commandment and Great Commission? When you stand before Jesus and He asks you what did you do with these two most important missions, what will you say?
This past Sunday, I had the privilege to share the strategy we have been doing as a church family in order to live out these two most important commandments of Jesus. This strategy is Biblical, practical, and can actually work in helping someone who was once far from God to become a fully devoted follower of Jesus.
Here is the 6 step strategy to take an atheist, an agnostic, a person from a different religion, or someone who thinks they are a Christian and help them become sold out for Jesus Christ.
IF - Special Events - Challenge - Sunday mornings - Small Groups - RIN.
1. IF = Integrity Friendship. As we humbly walk with Jesus, we seek to build integrity friendships with those who do not go to church. Following Jesus' model that gained Him a reputation of "A Friend of Sinners," we need to spend time with those out side the church. Build a trusting, caring and serving relationship with them to the point where they know we are followers of Jesus.
2. Special Events = We regularly create special events that are easy invite events: Block Parties/Free BBQs, VBS, Christmas Musicals, Children's Musicals. Where else can people go and receive something totally free, have a great relational time and hear a life challenge?
Our next one is a free BBQ Block Party on Wed, June 14. Who are you going to invite?
3. Challenge - As we are relating and getting to know those who do not go to church, the Holy Spirit is fully drawing them to Jesus. The Holy Spirit is using our life in ways that we might not be able to see. Our serving them when they are having a bad day intensifies the Holy Spirit's attractive presence. The Special Events paint a beautiful picture of the reality of Jesus and a relationship with Him. All of this God uses to challenge them in their belief system. Are you cooperating with the Holy Spirit like this?
4. Sunday Mornings - This is where we seek to fully worship, relate and grow in our relationship with Jesus. Over the past 2,000 years the best place for unchurched people to learn, hear and respond to Jesus is Sunday morning worship services.
5. Small groups - Small groups are a wonderful way to begin to let God's Word transform us to be more like Jesus. It is where we can move past being alone or living up to a facade to being real and risking to be loved or rejected. It is where we can be totally real with a few people in order to know and be known, to love and be loved, and to serve and be served. Are you in a small group?
6. RIN - What a crazy non-word?! R-IN meaning "Are In"... Praying, building integrity friendships, inviting to events, challenging, inviting to Sunday mornings and small groups, we trust the Holy Spirit will use us to help our friend come to know Jesus. So, RIN means they are now in the family of Jesus.
R-IN the family of Jesus.
R-IN a ministry Team (discover spiritual gift and join a ministry team).
R-IN the mission of Jesus (trained to share Jesus with others and live out strategy).
R-IN the church (learn and commit to become a member of Southtown).
Will you join us in this 6 step strategy?
When you read the Biographies of Jesus with this strategy in mind, you can see it.
May God use us to move people along the spiritual journey to be adopted into His family and join Jesus' mission.
Committed to this strategy,
Pastor Chris Reinertson enjoys all sports, especially those involving a ball. He loves to hang out with people and challenge them to be Jesus REVolutionizers.